On the 5th October 2015, a memorandum of understanding on cooperation in establishment of institution-based network on China-Africa Cooperation for Schistosomiasis elimination, was signed between China and African institutions, in Cape Town, South Africa. The institutions in this cooperation consist of:
- The National Institute of Parasitic Diseases, Chinese Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (Prof. Zhou Xiaonong)
- Faculty of Sciences, University of Yaoundé I, Cameroon (Prof. Louis-Albert Tchuem Tchuente )
- Institut National de Recherche en Santé Publique, Mali (Prof. Mamadou Souncalo Traore)
- Blue Nile National Institute for Communicable Diseases, University of Gezira-Wad Medani, Sudan (Dr. Bakri Yousif Mohamed Nour)
- National Institute for Medical Research, Mwanza Centre, Tanzania (Dr. Mwele Malecela)
- College of Health Sciences, University of Zimbabwe, Zimbabwe (Prof. Nicholas Midzi)
The parties agree to promote and develop the co-operation and the schistosomiasis elimination in Africa by transferring Chinese experiences on the basis of equity and mutual benefit, and to develop cooperation in specific areas. The priority areas include: capacity building, sharing of control and elimination strategies, co-researches on snail control, case detection, treatment and surveillance under the framework of the national schistosomiasis control and elimination programmes. Plan of action to establish the Institution-based Network will be developed by key parties involved.